Your Piece of the Sun Energy, Gender and Poverty in Urban South Africa
Specialized Solar Systems technologies feature in this short film and are used in the iShack project (10:40 - 14:10).
“Your Piece of the Sun”, a captivating film (25 minutes long) produced by Lloyd Ross and Joelle Chesselet for Sustainable Energy Africa, explores the challenges of energy, gender and poverty in urban South Africa. Through illuminating case studies and interviews with people on the ground, new approaches and innovative solutions to energy service delivery for low-income households are illustrated.
This film is intended to raise discussion and awareness and inspire innovative work in improving energy service delivery and access for low income households and in turn improve socio-economic development.
Geelhoutboom 101 kWp Grid-Tied solar system
Specialized Solar Systems installation team busy with the beginning stages of a large 101 kWp Grid-Tied solar system that will supplement the energy usage for the new upgraded blue berry pack house for the van Greunen Boerdery at their Highfields Blue Berry Pack House just a few kilometres outside George, The Garden Route South Africa
The 100kVA Grid-tied will make use of:
- 332 x 305watt solar PV modules (101260WP)
- 4 x 27.0 ECO Fronius Grid-tied inverters
This is the first phase of the project and is expected to be completed by 2 December 2016. Thereafter and with careful monitoring, the system will be expanded for more solar yielding capacity.
The Grid-Tied solar system is designed, supplied and implemented by Specialized Solar Systems in collaboration with our solar partner, SSK (Sentraal Suid Ko-operasie).
This system connects the solar panel installation with the main electricity grid (ESKOM) and is known as a grid-tied solar power system. If legislation allows in the near future, excess energy could be fed back into the grid with a special meter.
18 kWp Loggernberg Grid-Tied Solar Installation
Specialized Solar Systems recently completed 18 kWp grid-tied solar system installation for a client staying in Glentana in the Garden Route, South Africa.
The grid-tied solar installation used 72 x 250 PV solar panels , a 20 kW Fronius Symo inverter and took 2 weeks to complete.
Zeerust Off-Grid 20 kVA 100kWhrs per day Solar System
Images from the recent Off-Grid solar system during the installation done in Zeerust North West Province, South Africa.
This Off-Grid renewable energy solar system supplies a daily average of 100kWhs/day from the solar array and has a battery storage capacity to support 72kwhrs usage direct from battery before reaching 27% DOD (Depth of battery discharge). The solar system made use of the following quality components:
- 72 x 250Watt Solar Modules [10Year Guarantee, 25Year 80% Yield]
- 96 x 1380Amp hour 2V Cells with take-off leads, battery floats, log book, distilled water x 20L drum, interconnecting cables and hydrometer [1Year Guarantee, 10-15Year Lifespan]
- 4 x 85Amp MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 1 x Victron BMV700 Precision Battery Monitor [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- Victron Blue Power Color Control GX [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 2 x 10Kw 48V 140 Victron Quattro Inverter/Charger [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- System Programming and Maintenance/Owner Training
Backed by many years of residential and commercial solar system design and installations throughout Africa and a huge range of innovative and well-tested products, Specialized Solar Systems is a leader in solar energy solutions industry and can confidently offer homeowner’s the added security and peace of mind, that we will design and install a solar energy system to fulfil almost any energy requirement.
Our in-house experts will advise you about all the available solar solutions options to cater for your needs and custom design a solar solution with our propriety software giving you a complete overview of system design performance, installation costs, timeframes, capitalization and/or return on investment information all backed up by our legendary support team.
With the latest solar energy monitoring systems, you’ll be able to check the energy status of your battery, how much energy has been produced, and how much you are consuming. Be in complete control and manage your energy at the maximum efficiency.
All Specialized Solar Systems energy systems have the ability to be easily upgraded in peak capacity as well as daily energy yield.
Off-grid power systems supply electricity to properties that are not connected to the public electricity network. These systems are independent power stations capable of powering a wide range of applications with dependable and reliable electricity that is no different to that supplied by the national electricity grid. Whether it be for a small or large new or existing home, a station, business or an entire community that depends on large diesel generators, off-grid stand-alone power systems are commonly the reliable, clean, hassle free, cost competitive answer!
- Redflow ZBM (Zinc Bromide Module)
- Botswana Off-grid solar systems commissioned
- Installation of demonstration solar unit at the UNISA
- Die Burger: Sonkrag by winkelsentrum in George ingespan
- October special on our 255 Watt Solar Modules
- Thembalethu Square Goes Solar
- The Solar Traffic Control Road Trailer
- SSK Branch managers visit Specialized Solar Systems
- VSD (Variable speed drives)
- Commercial sustainable solar solutions
- Tembalethu Square Shopping Mall George leads the way by going Green
- Residential solar system design and installation
- Utility-based solar energy management
- Grid-tied energy solution now at the SSK garage and CO-OP in Krakeel
- Grid-interactive Hybrid 3KV 11-12kWhrs per day solar system
- Sub-centralized solar energy power station complete
- (2016) Residential solar - A viable energy solution
- Botswana - 165 KWh - 30 KWp, Off-grid solar energy installation completed
- Jabula sub-centralized solar energy power station Stage 1
- Renewable Energy and the Internet for All